Saturday, April 12, 2008

Entrelac

The new obsession.
I need to learn this, 
it has become the prime directive.

Now I need to find instructions.

.......

I will let you know how the hunt goes.


1 comment:

Spike said...

Entrelac is wordy to explain, but simple to execute. Here's how I teach it:

CO 10 sts and work 10 ridges of garter st, slipping the first stitch of every row. You have 1 square.

DO NOT BIND OFF.

Cast on 10 more stitches. Yes, right there at the end of the square, "in the air". Now knit 10 rows of garter, but at the end of the "right side" rows, k2tog with one stitch from the first square.

It's like knitting on a sideways edging on a lace shawl.

You have 2 squares.

DO NOT BIND OFF.

Pick up one stitch in each slipped stitch of the first square. Knit 10 rows garter.

You have 3 squares.

You keep building squares by picking up in old squares (in the middle) and casting on new squares (at the outer edges).

You build square by square and row by row just like a diagonal dishcloth. When your piece gets "big enough" on the diagonal, you stop casting on for new squares at the outer edges, and bind off squares when you've worked even.

Good luck!