Thursday, April 30, 2009

Grandma B~ Shawl

Last year my friend Ciorstan gifted me with two skeins of HandMaiden Great Big Sea yarn. Not inexpensive stuff and none of my local stores carries Handmaiden. This yarn is stunning and one of my favorites. This is a yarn I covet. and Ciorstan had gifted me with two skeins. Gobsmacked is an appropriate term to use. I put it away saving it for the perfect project. The perfect Occassion. The perfect someone (hopefully that person was me, but time would tell).

DV~'s grandmother turns 97 this weekend. Grandma B is one of the most important people in DV~ 'verse. He adores his grandmother. I wanted to do something special for her, but what do you give a Grand Matriarch such as this? Thus I decided to knit her a shawl using the yarn Ciorstan had given me. The colors were perfect for Grandma, she always wears soft pastels in blues and pinks.

I decided on the Eyelet Shawl by Vikki Harding as it was a simple design that would allow the colors of the yarn to really shine.

Needle US 6

Start Saturday April 18
Knitting Complete Sunday April 26
Blocked Monday April 27

Grandma B's Birthday Celebration Saturday May 2

Please note that I was in Seattle for 5 days including travel time, I was able to focus on this project. Plus the design is very clean, simple and super easy to memorize.

DV~ was very pleased that he could give a nice gift to a person who holds such a piece of his heart. I was able to make a wonderful gift for a beautiful person. I know the work is good, I made sure that when I found errors I ripped back to correct the mistakes. I wanted this to be something special that made all of us smile. I just hope she likes it. Now the worry that she will take a look and think "meh" but that is my own personal head game. DV~ is happy and that is a big part of why I did this. For him.

Ciorstan, Thank you for gifting me with this wonderful yarn, through your generosity I am able to give a beloved Grandma a very special gift. You generosity is a Pay it Forward of sorts. The yarn is a delight to work. Thank you.









More details can be found on my Ravelry Page Moirar70

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I just friended you on Ravelry, I love this shawl! Nice gift all around. (Want to also say, what goes around....lol)

Keep on knitting.

Kandi said...

AWWW, that is heartwarming. I think this this is a wonderful gift. A gift from both of you, and a gift from the heart. You are such a giving person. I know you put yourself into everything you make. Wonderful. Thank you for sharing.
Kandi